Chicken has bald back. Not mites or molting.

SophiaLinn

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Massachusetts
Background: I have a hen who is definitely on the bottom of the pecking order, ever since she was introduced with 2 others a year ago (we followed all the rules of integrating chickens). She previously had a pecking wound on her head that I was able to heal. She is still picked on regularly and does not defend herself at all.

Right now, her back is completely bald. It’s been like this for a few weeks. There are no pecking wounds, just bald. It’s only on her back and she is the only one with a bald patch so I’m pretty sure it’s not mites or anything. The others all molted in the fall except her and the 2 she came with since it was their first fall/winter. Recently, the spot that’s most visible has been pretty red.

I’ve been putting some Blue Kote on to try to deter pecking but her feathers just won’t grow back. I’m not really sure what to do know. Any ideas?

The photos I added are what it looks like right now.

Attachments

• A63AD630-55FA-4CB1-B083-E3AC588AA005.jpeg
    A63AD630-55FA-4CB1-B083-E3AC588AA005.jpeg
    725.2 KB · Views: 70
  • AAB67260-CBD3-4A7C-89E1-1EB100F5A8B0.jpeg
    AAB67260-CBD3-4A7C-89E1-1EB100F5A8B0.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 33
I think I'm going to add more protein to our feed only 1 breed of birds is balding and its the 6 gamefowl rest are beautifully feathered. Glad I found others having same problems.

Background: I have a hen who is definitely on the bottom of the pecking order, ever since she was introduced with 2 others a year ago (we followed all the rules of integrating chickens). She previously had a pecking wound on her head that I was able to heal. She is still picked on regularly and does not defend herself at all.

Right now, her back is completely bald. It’s been like this for a few weeks. There are no pecking wounds, just bald. It’s only on her back and she is the only one with a bald patch so I’m pretty sure it’s not mites or anything. The others all molted in the fall except her and the 2 she came with since it was their first fall/winter. Recently, the spot that’s most visible has been pretty red.

I’ve been putting some Blue Kote on to try to deter pecking but her feathers just won’t grow back. I’m not really sure what to do know. Any ideas?

The photos I added are what it looks like right now.
We are having same problem with two of ours- they already eat 22% protein laying feed- any other suggestions?

We are having same problem with two of ours- they already eat 22% protein laying feed- any other suggestions?
Do you have photos of your birds?
The OP's bird looks to have suffered from feather picking and the feather shafts are still intact in the skin. Those feathers won't be replaced until the bird molts, so she will have loss until then.

Does your hen have flock mates that dominance breed her even though they are all hens? My bottom of the barrel hen gets dominance bred by one of the other chickens if she sneaks food. It's a weird behaviour.

How many are confined to coop/run? Assume you're not allowing free-range... ? Thing is, that bald spot is going to keep attracting unwanted attention. Can you separate with "the 2," she came with? Do you know if it's a night time roosting thing (like who is she roosting next to?) Is there any chance it was a dog? I just know that I'd separate her with anyone who is not picking on her until that color is not attractive to the mean girls. I really don't over intervene but I've had this go really south once....

Back
Top Bottom