Chicken has been attacked on neck - skin taken off

Make sure that she is getting layer feed and has crushed oyster shell in a separate container to take as she needs it. I would give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D, available in most vitamin aisles, for the next 3 days. Stress, an injury, an infection, calcium deficiency, or some respiratory viruses can cause thin shelled or shell-less eggs.

It’s possible her shell gland was damaged, or my personal opinion is it could still be from stress. It would not hurt to give her some calcium. Can you offer a wet mash with poultry vitamins as a little boost?

@Wyorp Rock also taught me about adding buttermilk to mash in times of stress. I’ve tried it a few times now. They LOVE it and it does seem to help, maybe just by encouraging them to eat or something else, I’m not sure, but now it’s part of my bag of tricks. I have a few molting right now AND it’s hot, so I made a mash and added lowfat buttermilk, nutridrench and frozen berries. They are definitely eating it. Sorry if it sounds off topic, but I’m trying to demonstrate ways to support in times of stress. Let us know how she does.

Does her wound look infected?

Attachments

• 14429547-0322-43D6-A2B4-23B458B8F2BC.png
    14429547-0322-43D6-A2B4-23B458B8F2BC.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 6
Is there an odor?
Keep the wound moist with triple antibiotic ointment.

Is she able to eat/drink on her own?
No odour and been cleaning with a diluted iodine wash followed by anti-sceptic spray.
She eats and drinks perfectly fine but she does tend to hang out by herself and she hasn’t laid any eggs since the attack.

Back
Top Bottom