Chicken has been breathing weird for a month now..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nine Chickens, May 23, 2017.

1. Nine Chickens

Nine Chickens Just Hatched

May 23, 2017
    Around April 4th one of my hens started having trouble breathing, out of all 9 of the hens she was the only one with issues. I separated her immediately when I noticed this but that was a month ago. She hasn’t produced any eggs either within the month and hasn’t had any progress with breathing. She is eating and drinking just fine, I go out and give her some treats that the other hens get so she doesn’t feel abandoned. Her eyes seem clear and there is no discharge anywhere. I am worried that she might be lonely out there by herself and I would like to put her back with the others. Do chickens get allergies in the spring? Would it be a good idea to put her back? I don’t know what to do and I don’t wanna drop money at the vet.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    When I get a sick bird it is almost always limited to the individual. By the time you notice a sick bird whatever it has is already everywhere, so I never separate out a bird unless it has injuries that would cause it to be bullied or pecked.

Respiratory problems either improve or they don't. Keep a clean dry coop with good ventilation. Chickens have a delicate respiratory tract.

What symptoms are you seeing?

3. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Oh and :welcome

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I see that you are in good hands with OGM, so I will just wish you the best of luck.

5. Nine Chickens

May 23, 2017
    Thank you for the quick reply :)
    The only thing wrong I am noticing is that she is breathing weirdly and ever since she started (a month ago) she hasn’t produced any eggs either. If it would be more helpful I can post a video tomorrow.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A video would be great , so we can experience what you do. Otherwise we don't know what kind of weird breathing. Does she cough ? Have her mouth open (gaping).

7. Nine Chickens

May 23, 2017

I hope the link works. I didn't know how to add one on here.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She does have some sort of respiratory problem there. @Wyorp Rock seems to know more about treating stuff than I do. Hopefully they will come by and give you a good suggestion.

9. Nine Chickens

May 23, 2017
    I do not believe it is a respiratory infection, she only shows one of those signs and none of the other chickens have it. It's also been a month and she hasn't died yet. But then again, I'm not a chicken expert so I am not positive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by