chicken has been ill since August 2012

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cntrydrmz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. cntrydrmz

cntrydrmz New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Hello everyone!

This hen is from some that we hatched last May. One day in August she started walking on her elbows. So, we separated her and brought her up to the garage and her own area. She went back and forth between being able to stand and not being able to stand. The toes on her left foot are the ones that curl at times. Her appetite and water intake is just fine, but she is very thin. We started to put an electrolyte/vitamin supplement in her water and have continued. We have her on grower crumbles. Her stools are just fine most of the time. A couple of weeks ago she started rolling on her back and couldn't correct herself. While trying to get up one time, she apparently sliced her skin with her nails. It was about 2 inches long and all the way through the skin. We cleaned her up, put some antibiotics on her.and wrapped her. Then we made a sling for her. She was doing well in the sling and standing in the beginning. Now she just seems to hang there. She is still bright eyed and has a great appetite, but is still very thin. At this point we're not sure what else we can do for her except to help her cross the Bridge. We are going to our small animal vet tomorrow and he will euthanize her for us if we want. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Bev

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i don't know much about chicken problems - but it sounds somewhat like a neurological problem. if she's been sick this long - i would let her go.

3. cntrydrmz

cntrydrmz New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not sure if it's neurological or what it is. Chicken illnesses are so difficult to figure out. We're leaning toward letting her cross the Bridge. I just wanted to get some thoughts from others on here. Thanks for your input! [​IMG]

4. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I would also let her go. It will be better for her AND for you. I can imagine doctoring her so much has sucked alot of the joy out of having chickens. I have put 2 chicks and 2 adult hens out of their misery it is difficult to do....but once it is over there is such a feeling of relief.

5. cntrydrmz

cntrydrmz New Egg

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks for your input! It really hasn't sucked the joy out of the chickens. I just hate not knowing what is wrong when one of them is ill or passes. This girl is a little mixed breed and looks like a barred Turken. She is just adorable! It's just difficult since she's still eating and drinking along with a great attitude. She is just too thin and weak, I'm just glad my small animal vet will help her cross the Bridge. He has also amputated one guinea leg and splinted another for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by