Chicken has been panting but it’s not hot

Aug 17, 2021
Hey everyone so I’ve had this chick that is about 10 weeks old now and she pants but only at night. I don’t know what is causing her to pant because she has plenty of water and it’s not hot at all (outside it has only been in the 60’s and inside it’s maybe like 70 ish). I’ve treated her for possible respiratory infections and parasites so far but nothing has changed. She pants everytime she wakes up at night but she acts normal. The other 2 chicks don’t do this so I’m starting to thinking maybe she was born with some sort of illness. If anyone could help that would be appreciated :)

Welcome To BYC

Can you get a video of her actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Does she have any symptoms like coughing/sneezing, mucous?

Where are you located in the world?

If you have photos of your brooder set-up that may be helpful as well.

I'm having the same issue. It's warm here in central Texas, even at night. It's only the 1 (out of 8) hen that pants like this. No sneezing or discharge and she is 100% normal all day, every day... Except when she goes to roost.
Laying an egg a day, eating, drinking, pooping and foraging. I have been putting a low speed fan on her at night.

Attachments

• PXL_20210807_122219487.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210807_122219487.PORTRAIT.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 9
My pullet did that, she was feeling warmer than usual on her roost at night. But I'm suspecting that she going through hormonal changes to start laying.

Back
Top Bottom