1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken has been pecked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fratmor, Jan 12, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    just went out to check on my girls ,and one of them has been pecked at the top of her head is exposed and bloody,along with her foot also a small bit of blood there. I bought her in and she seems a little congested also she is just sitting in the bottom of the box althought I'm not to concerned about her sitting around she was never very active .any thought as to what to do about her being congested.I put triple antibiatic on her head and foot so I'm ok with that and she is staying in until the redness goes a was or she will become food for the chickens

2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    I just had the run of my girls get pecked but luckily we were there to see it. Rescued her as soon as possible, and brought her inside. Didn't put anything on her bloody beak but she's healed nicely. We're keeping her inside, by herself, for a while. Until the trauma passes.

Vikki

=============================

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry this happend to your girl, the others probably know she's not feeling 100% and took advantage. what you treated her with is fine, the conjestion is a little worrisome please read this article, it's fantastic and should be in all of out med. kits, all the best ...www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm I don't know why it's not coming up as a link but if you type it in it will come up.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    she spend the night in the house and is healing ok she still sounds a little congested can I give her benadryl or something of that kind?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by