Chicken has complete white poop

Lady507

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, so my dad showed up with a chicken to my house 1 week ago after his friend didn’t want her anymore. She’s our only chicken (we are thinking about getting her a buddy soon). But since she came she’s been slow and not a big eater. At first we thought maybe it’s her getting used to a new home but it seems that she just keeps getting worse. She is now pooping a pure white poop and her vent has gotten white from it. She seems down, doesn’t want to eat, although will drink some water though slowly. She just stands around all day and lays down a lot. I put some apple cider vinegar to see if it would help her Incase it’s an infection. But has anyone dealt with this before? Know how to treat it? I attached a photo of her last poop in case anyone wanted to see it.

Attachments

• 7A1351ED-70FE-4280-8DF8-732269FAE4BC.jpeg
    7A1351ED-70FE-4280-8DF8-732269FAE4BC.jpeg
    932 KB · Views: 56
Did your dads friend keep the rest of his chickens? Was she acting normal the first day?
Yeah he has the rest of his chickens he just said he didn’t want her anymore because he had to many black chickens 🤷🏼‍♀️
She was although she wouldn’t eat much but she roamed around and would occasionally peck at the ground. She would even run away from us and cluck a little. But now she just stands around and you can pick her up and she won’t even make a squeak.

What is she being fed?
I bought her Purina layer pellets that it says it’s good for the immune system and it has omegas which it said is also good for them.
But she won’t eat it, she’ll peck it and swallow a couple pieces but that’s about it. I mixed it with some pigeon food (it’s corn, safflower, white and maple peas, wheat, and etc.) that got her to eat a little more and since it was mixed she ate some of her pellets too. But she wasn’t a big eater about it too. After a couple minutes she left and went back to standing or laying around. Should I be trying to feed her something else?

I bought her Purina layer pellets that it says it’s good for the immune system and it has omegas which it said is also good for them.
But she won’t eat it, she’ll peck it and swallow a couple pieces but that’s about it. I mixed it with some pigeon food (it’s corn, safflower, white and maple peas, wheat, and etc.) that got her to eat a little more and since it was mixed she ate some of her pellets too. But she wasn’t a big eater about it too. After a couple minutes she left and went back to standing or laying around. Should I be trying to feed her something else?
Any signs that she maybe egg bound? Is her vent pulsing alot? Runny poo is usually a common symptom of egg binding.

Any signs that she maybe egg bound? Is her vent pulsing alot? Runny poo is usually a common symptom of egg binding.
That is a good theory
I checked her vent and there’s no pushing or any distending. I will keep an eye out though in case she starts pushing or something similar. I did notice a couple hours ago she would occasionally shake her head with her beak open. I think I have heard of this when they have crop infections? But I’m not sure.

Please post some photos of the whole hen.

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites. Feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

How old is she supposed to be?

Please post some photos of the whole hen.

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, look her over for lice/mites. Feel her abdomen below her vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

How old is she supposed to be?
I just checked her crop as it’s morning here
It seems distended but when I touched it, it doesn’t seem like there’s food as it’s very soft and she has an eye closed today that she’s not opening and her breathing is more labored. I attached a photo of her below
What do you think I should do? Any medications you’d recommend?
I do not know what age she can be, although she does look kind of old.

Attachments

• AE201202-531C-4055-8C9B-33BAC1DD82A5.jpeg
    AE201202-531C-4055-8C9B-33BAC1DD82A5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Smell her breath when you feel of her crop, to see if it has a sour or bad odor. She may have sour crop or be suffering from a yeast (fungal) infection. That can be hard to treat. She also may have other underlying problems, such as a reproductive infection or internal laying. Your dad’s friend just sounds like he was dumping a sick chicken. I would check her crop every morning to see if it was. Emptying overnight. Get some miconazole or Nystatin cream from your pharmacy and give some according to this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She also may have a lowered tail, so check for a full lower belly between her legs. Has she laid an egg since she has been there? I would check her for lice and mites on her skin, as WR recommended, and consider worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Back
Top Bottom