1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken has cracked and slightly bloody feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TayLuvChicken, May 28, 2016.

1. TayLuvChicken

TayLuvChicken Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I'm new here :) I have a question though, I have some 7-8 week old polish crested hens and one of them, in whom I have named Poppy, has some cracked and bloody feet. It's mainly more bloody between the toes and slightly by her claws. When I let her roam the yard she lays on the ground often and hates waking around in the yard because it seems as though it irritates her feet. And when she sits she won't put her feet underneath her, she has to have them sprawled out in front her. Sometimes when I pick her up she squeals and acts if it really hurts her toes. I've cleaned it up and put some neosporin on it and ot doesn't last long before it starts bleeding again. Suggestions? What should I clean it out with?

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Are your chickens on wire? Do any others have this issue?

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. TayLuvChicken

TayLuvChicken Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    No wire, and none of the others have this issue. Poppy is also one of the smaller hens. She doesn't like scratching in the yard either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by