Chicken has diahreah or kidney problem?

MasterChief2988

Chirping
Dec 14, 2017
Hello , I live in a tripical country where chickens arent meant to be pets , but raised one anyways.
He is about 6 months old.
For about 3 months or so he's been having diahrea and green poop
There are no vets in my area who are familiar with chickens.
I managed to get some advice from a vet from far away, he told me to give him alcipro and oralyte.

And I have for months now , but its still not curing hes green poop.
Please help hes crop smells bad half the times , hes ears have yellow stuff(no signs of infection) and occasional brown liquid poop
I only feed him pellets from the local bazaar.
Currently hes off the medication

Attachments

• 20180407_114807.jpg
    20180407_114807.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180425_153322[1].jpg
    20180425_153322[1].jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180425_153300[1].jpg
    20180425_153300[1].jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180425_153247[1].jpg
    20180425_153247[1].jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 59
The best way to prevent your chickens from getting diarrhoea is to keep them looking like the picture of health: feed them an appropriate diet for their age and stage of development, always have clean fresh water available, keep their coop clean, dry and draft free, keep stress at a minimum, and know the signs and symptoms of common poultry diseases/conditions that cause diarrhoea. Knowledge is a powerful tool!

Treating diarrhoea in your chickens depends upon the cause. If the cause is simply environmental factors or the result of taking antibiotics, then the treatment is simple: Offer your struggling chooks some yoghurt, pro-biotics, electrolytes or even Gatorade to help restore lost nutrients. Also, you can add 2 tablespoons regular vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar to each 4 litre waterer.

During an episode of diarrhoea, it’s best to scoop the poop as often as possible to ensure that your birds are comfortable and that they don’t re-contaminate themselves or each other. And, a good rule of thumb to aid in recovery is to offer your precious feathered friends an avian multi-vitamin. Every little bit helps when it comes to caring for your fine flock. Before you know it, they’ll be happily clucking like CrAzY and back to their lovable antics once again!

If however, after further observation, you are able to rule out either of the above situations, then disease is most likely present. Diarrhoea causes serious issues for chickens; it depletes vital nutrients, leaving your poor ailing chooks weak, dehydrated, and susceptible to further complications. Diarrhoea should never be taken lightly. If you’re not quite sure what is causing the loose droppings, always stay on the safe side and seek veterinary advice.

I would say, given your description of all his symptoms, that he's suffering from impacted/sour crop. This causes him not to feel like eating because his crop is full. Feel it. Does it feel full of liquid and maybe chunky hard stuff? If the crop feels full all the time, especially in the morning before he even eats, he has a sick crop that needs treatment.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ You'll find all the information you need by reading this.

The cause of your rooster's problems is he has no access to grit. Grit is made up of small stones the chicken picks up to outfit their gizzard to grind up and digest their food. Without it, food gets impacted in the gizzard and backs up through the intestines and the crop, eventually starving the bird.

The treatment isn't difficult. You can probably find coconut oil okay, but you will also need to find an anti-yeast medicine. Many of us us over-the-counter women's vaginal yeast treatments. (Miconazole) Ask at your pharmacy for it.

Meanwhile, you need to locate some grit. Construction or river sand will work. The particles need to be sharp-edged, not rounded, and approximately 3 mm in diameter.

Ok so UPDATE:
I give him corn which should help him digest food
I take him downstairs / he eats dirt , insects , etc

His green poop is solved , but he still has diaorreah
He is < 1 year of age and is usually in my varanda and indoors
No sign of parasite / worms / fleas

heres a pic: chcien.jpg

Corn will not help him digest food and will actually have the opposite effect. Without grit he cannot digest corn either, so that will add to the problem if he has an impaction. If you were only feeding him pellets then he does not need grit, but anything that does not break down to mush in water needs grit so that the bird's gizzard can grind it up.

It sounds like your chicken has sour crop. It's a yeast infection in the crop. it usually happens because the crop isn't processing food in the correct way and stuff is fermenting instead of being digested. Stop giving grains give water soluble, easy to digest foods and a probiotic.

Hello , I live in a tripical country where chickens arent meant to be pets , but raised one anyways.
He is about 6 months old.
For about 3 months or so he's been having diahrea and green poop
There are no vets in my area who are familiar with chickens.
I managed to get some advice from a vet from far away, he told me to give him alcipro and oralyte.

And I have for months now , but its still not curing hes green poop.
Please help hes crop smells bad half the times , hes ears have yellow stuff(no signs of infection) and occasional brown liquid poop
I only feed him pellets from the local bazaar.
Currently hes off the medication
Does he get to roam and forage and get vitamin D ? Many chickens are kept in confined spaces and they are like dogs they love company and they love to explore and scratch around
If he is kept confined in a small space that’s really sad and he may have vitamin deficiency and generally be sad like how you’d feel if confirmed in a small space each day .. they are as smart ss dogs .. mine are trained like dogs little feathered puppies …

Back
Top Bottom