Chicken has green poop

TheBlessedCoop

Chirping
Jan 26, 2016
Texas
Hello everyone! I have a one and a half year old hen who has never laid an egg and who has recently been molting. I thought she was just having a rough molt but she is progressively getting worse. She isn't eating or drinking today. In the beginning she wasn't eating well but drinking So much she threw up. I originally thought she had a impacted crop, but she finally stopped drinking so much. What really concerns me is she is very skinny and she suddenly stops and squints or closes her eyes constantly. Even while standing. And it's not typical napping. Her poop just comes out like water and has bright green pieces in it. I apologize for such a description but that is what it is. I posted a picture of what she pooped today the darker area is all the water she pooped with the green.

She is obviously ill with some type of reproductive disorder since she has never laid an egg. Molting is very stressful to even healthy chickens. Can you take her to a vet for care? She may have been laying internally, have egg yolk peritonitis, or just be suffering from an internal organ disease, such as heart, liver, or other diseases. I would feed her some chopped or raw egg, a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics, and give her chick vitamins with her usual feed. Adding water to it may get more water into her. Supportive care and keeping her warm enough and comfortable mayget her through this. If she dies, you can get a necropsy by your state vet, or do one yourself to inspect her internal organs.

Thank you so much for your fast response. It's so weird how she is acting. Day before yesterday I really was worried I was gonna lose her. Today she is acting better though. I gave her some Nutri-Drench yesterday. I don't know if that is what pepped her up or merely the grace of God. She managed to eat about a quarter of a cup of food mixed with water. She still acts odd. One day she feels alright and the next she's at deaths door. I will continue monitoring her feed consumption and give her lots of TLC. Maybe she will continue to improve for good
1f60c.png

Back
Top Bottom