chicken has had a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by genabeana, May 20, 2010.

1. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    One of my 4 hens is lurching to the side and can't stand up for very long. She started walking crooked 3 days ago. I noticed that she had her head cocked to her right and seemed "heavy", like she was leaning that way as she walked. The next day was worse with stumbeling. Today she's still alive, tried to walk, but collapsed after a minute or two, still with her head, neck and body seeming to be weighted down on the right side. She layed an egg all three days. I know she'll be dead today. I can't figure out what might have happened?!!! The chickens are in a small yard, all the others are fine. She is only one year old.

Has anyone seen these symptoms/behaviours before?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How is your hen doing? I would separate her and give supportive care. Maybe an ear infection? I am not sure as I have not had to deal with something like this yet.

3. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Was it immunized for Mareks? if not, that's what it sounds like to me. There is agood video on Utube.

4. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    You know, I really thought that she was a gonner, she sure was acting that way. Over the past 2 days she's better! She's walking around acting like a normal chicken just with her head turned more to the side. I was thinking maybe it was her eye. or maybe you're right on with the ear infection.

I looked up "marek's" on Youtube and had no luck - getting singers and athletes instead of chickens.

Thanks for the posts!

Genabeana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by