Chicken has lump, can't walk--tumor?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wholegrainmommy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. wholegrainmommy

wholegrainmommy New Egg

May 21, 2008
    My two year old cochin has an enormous lump on her underside. I first noticed it maybe 3 months ago, when she was molting. She never grew back the feathers, so I've been able to see it grow, and it's nearly double the size it was then. SHe can no longer use her left leg, and has to hop and flap to keep up with the other girls.

Someone suggested that it was just a fat deposit, but it keeps growing. She is still laying eggs, but I'm worried about her quality of life. Should I put her down, or is she ok hopping on one leg? I dont know if she's in pain, but she seems mostly happy.

I know when dogs have fatty tumors, they are pretty easy to remove, but I feel silly paying a few hundred dollars for surgery on a chicken. Any suggestions?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'm sorry to hear about this...[​IMG]..i cant help you (i'm pretty useless here)..but, i can give you a bump up...best of wishes..

3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Does the lump easily move. sometimes that is a good sign, it may not be attached and possibly a fatty lump. If she is happy, I wouldn't put her down.

4. wholegrainmommy

wholegrainmommy New Egg

May 21, 2008
    It does move very easily, and is very squishy.

I'm most worried that she doesn't have any feathers over it. can she get frostbite on her bottom?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, it is up to you if you think her quality of life is suffering, and to make that decision.

If it was me, I'd let her go till she couldn't "be a chicken" anymore.

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

A few weeks ago there was a similar thread, but that hen turned out to be an internal layer. Doesn't sound like yours is. They actually did surgery on her themselves. Wife held the bird while hubby did the surgery. They described the whole process. Might want to search for that thread. I'll look for it, too.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
  8. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by