Chicken has moved into the woods, still stops by for lunch

mikecasciano

Hatching
May 18, 2021
Hi new chicken owner here. We inherited 11 chickens with our home we purchased.

Recently I had a chicken disappear. I had assumed it got taken by a predator. It turns out it's not the case. It's alive and I see it every few days when I stop out at lunch and refresh the chickens water and feed them. It no longer sleeps in the chicken house.

It was a very afraid chicken when it was around normally. If you were around it, it was the only one that you could normally pick up without much struggle.

Now it has turned into a bit of a crazy chicken. It's very skiddish. It won't let me get near it, and it generally looks crazy and not super healthy.

What should I do? Capture it and cage it for a bit?

Attachments

• 2021-05-18 14_13_38-Photo - Google Photos.png
    2021-05-18 14_13_38-Photo - Google Photos.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
The behavior is characteristic of a broody. Does she make cluck cluck noises or purr all the time? Are her feathers fluffed out? If any of these is the case, then I'd bet she is broody. And since there are no roosters around, she is wasting her time.

I would try to find her nest and catch her. Wear heavy gloves and keep her away from your face when you do catch her. Then keep her in a cage with a wire bottom for a few days to break her. If she goes back to the nest, try again.

If she is not broody, I would try to scope her out and find where she is roosting. That will be the easiest way to catch her. And then I would keep her in a separate pen or cage in the coop or shady place in the run for a while until she returns to normal. Chickens are way too vulnerable to predators to be left to their own devices for very long.

The behavior is characteristic of a broody. Does she make cluck cluck noises or purr all the time? Are her feathers fluffed out? If any of these is the case, then I'd bet she is broody. And since there are no roosters around, she is wasting her time.

I would try to find her nest and catch her. Wear heavy gloves and keep her away from your face when you do catch her. Then keep her in a cage with a wire bottom for a few days to break her. If she goes back to the nest, try again.

If she is not broody, I would try to scope her out and find where she is roosting. That will be the easiest way to catch her. And then I would keep her in a separate pen or cage in the coop or shady place in the run for a while until she returns to normal. Chickens are way too vulnerable to predators to be left to their own devices for very long.
Yes -- her feathers a very fluffy.. and she makes some weird noises... i think that's what I need to do... catch her and break her out of the habit... i'm surrounded by woods, so any tips in tracking chickens?

Yes -- her feathers a very fluffy.. and she makes some weird noises... i think that's what I need to do... catch her and break her out of the habit... i'm surrounded by woods, so any tips in tracking chickens?
She'll be difficult to spot with that kind of coloring. The easiest way is to follow her next time she comes out to eat. Or if you have an idea of the area where she goes from previous experience, look in that area-- she will likely be under or near cover of bushes or grass tussocks, or in the crook of a tree's roots. Probably not right out in the open.

Back
Top Bottom