Chicken has no crop. why?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chickensaregreatmates, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Chickensaregreatmates

Chickensaregreatmates In the Brooder

Jan 14, 2018
    My chicken hasn't been itself lately, Tonight I noticed that her crop was empty, Does this mean she hasn't been eating? The other one's crop was large and hard. I have noticed last 3 nights she hasn't been eating the pellets so tonight I left her on her own and hand feed her, she has a few but not a large amount like the other girl, not really interested. I don't think she has been laying for the last week, she usually has a whiter egg and her mate has a brown egg. The last egg she laid was small and in the run not the nest. Any ideas would be welcome. They are 3.5 years old

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Your chicken is somewhat sick, but I have no Idea as to what. ???
    I suggest you try giving her some scrambled egg in the morning. It is hard for them to resist. I have no other thoughts. :hugs
    WISHING YOU BEST... and :welcome

3. Chickensaregreatmates

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks for that, I will try that.:thumbsup

4. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Are you sure she's not getting bullied by your other hen? Relationships can change and something may have happened to kick off bullying behaviour. It's always best to have more than one feeding station so that every bird has access to feed, even if one hen is being bossy. Offer them a familiar treat and see what their reaction is. See if your other girl tries to prevent her from eating. :fl Hopefully she's not sick.

5. Chickensaregreatmates

Jan 14, 2018
    Yes are are right to some extent, she is the bullied one, but why has she just developed not eating when they are been together for 3.5 years. I will start feeding her by herself and watching how much she is eating. Thanks for your help

Freisian and JaeG like this.
  6. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Perhaps your more assertive girl has had a hormonal shift, making her more intolerant. I'm not sure. My Mum almost lost her beautiful, big blue Orpington girl because she was being starved/bullied by a smaller hen (that she's been living with for almost a year and a half). Said Orpington (who really is as sweet as honey) is now living with two tiny Pekin/Cochin bantams - she's still scared of one (the smallest) because the teeny girl is currently broody, making her a bit territorial and grumpy. But the other has become her friend which is lovely.

7. Chickensaregreatmates

Jan 14, 2018
    Very interesting, I will take all this advice on board and hopefully can sort this with all of your great help. Many Thanks

JaeG likes this.
  8. Maddison

Maddison Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Rural NSW Australia
    I've read somewhere that if you feel a chickens crop and its empty, then its a sign of mareks. one mareks system is a loss of appetite. does she have any other of these symptoms?
    Progressive neck paralysis - less common
    Progressive wing paralysis - less common
    Progressive limb paralysis
    Loss of ability to stand
    Paralysis
    Uncoordination
    Swollen Liver
    Swollen Spleen
    Loss of Appetite
    Loss of Weight
    Anemia
    Pale combs
    Shrunken combs
    Dehydration

cavemanrich likes this.
  9. Chickensaregreatmates

Jan 14, 2018
    Thank you for your reply. I took advice yesterday about her being bullied and today I fed her separately and she has had a good handful of pellets and pecking on the sweetcorn. I will let the other one out when she has finished.:)

cavemanrich and JaeG like this.
  10. Chickensaregreatmates

Jan 14, 2018
    Thanks for all your help. I feed her again tonight by herself and put a separte container in the pen with them of food. She is looking a lot happier today. I cleaned out their hatch and sprayed it for mites and remade their beds (nesting box) so hopefully things will only get better. Thanks once again.:yesss: we won this one. Here's a pic of them enjoying yoghurt.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: