Chicken has not ever laid an egg.

Hannahmae

Hatching
Sep 20, 2021
Hi all! I have a 24-week-old bantam White-Crested Black polish. She has not laid an egg yet and has been squatting for a few hours and making loud noises. My other chickens have been laying for a couple weeks (different breeds). I'm not sure if this is normal behavior or the egg is stuck??

She hasn't gone out of the hen house to drink or eat.

I put her out in the run and she is just sitting in the grass. She does not want to get up or walk around. Is something wrong? I'm not sure what to do.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
How is she doing?

Can you get some photos of her and her poop?

A video of her actions may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

See if she will drink for you.

Hannahmae

Hatching
Sep 20, 2021
How is she doing?

Can you get some photos of her and her poop?

A video of her actions may be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed?

See if she will drink for you.
This was her earlier when I took her out to the run. She had her wing propped on the water. I have now taken her inside in a tub with pine shavings, water, and food. I felt around her body and it doesn't feel like there's an egg. She pants every now and again and keeps her tail down. She will drink and eat if the food and water are right in front of her. We live in Northern California, USA. I feed her a local commercial feed, Egg Layer Crumble. She's having trouble balancing and uses her wings to help her around (like turning).

Attachments

• 20210920_171234.jpg
    20210920_171234.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210920-211025_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-211025_Chrome.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 7

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
This was her earlier when I took her out to the run. She had her wing propped on the water. I have now taken her inside in a tub with pine shavings, water, and food. I felt around her body and it doesn't feel like there's an egg. She pants every now and again and keeps her tail down. She will drink and eat if the food and water are right in front of her. We live in Northern California, USA. I feed her a local commercial feed, Egg Layer Crumble. She's having trouble balancing and uses her wings to help her around (like turning).
Let us know if her crop is empty this morning.

Just asking - her vision isn't blocked by fluff/feathers is it?

Losing balance is concerning. I would get some vitamins into her. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex.

When you can, get some photos of her poop. Do you have a vet you can take sample to, to see if worms or coccidiosis are an issue?

Work on hydrating her and encourage her to eat.

Not sure what's going on with her - she's not gotten into anything moldy, toxic, etc.? No lice/mites? Just trying to cover a few things here.

Top Bottom