Chicken has stopped walking, legs looking brittle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AD01, May 18, 2019.

1. AD01

AD01 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    I have this rooster that's probably about 3 or 4 years old and recently he's been having a problem standing and walking. It started about 3 weeks ago and im no expert at diagnosing chicken related health issues. I did notice that his legs always looked a little brittle and sort of flaky for a very long time but I just thought that it was normal, he was completely fine, now however, he just sits and stretches out his legs in front of him or to the side and to move around he flaps his wings. I did check to see if his poop seemed unusual but it seems okay and his diet consists of seed, bread and vegetables. I don't know where he has been sleeping the past few weeks because he cant even fly, usually he sleeps in a tree. a little help would really be appreciated.

rjohns39 likes this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What breed? What age? What feed calcium %, protein %)

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. AD01

AD01 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    He's a bantam, about 3 or 4 years old and im not very sure how much protein or calcium he gets, im not a chicken breeder, I give them different things everyday and no, I do not give them supplements or vitamins, I did not know that was needed until about a month ago...

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to at BYC :frow We're so happy you decided to join us:ya

A Picture of his legs would be helpful as well.

5. AD01

AD01 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    I shall try and get a picture of them tomorrow morning, thanks so much for helping...

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Flaky or brittle looking legs sound like he may have scaly leg mites. But his sitting around with his legs out sounds much more serious, possibly a vitamin deficiency, or a virus called Mareks disease. How does he get up into the treet to roost now? If he is only eating seeds, bread, and veggies, he may not be getting the protein, vitamins and minerals needed. Do you have a regular balanced chicken feed available where you live?

rjohns39 and ellend like this.
  7. AD01

AD01 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    he has been sleeping on the ground and I too feel that it may be a vitamin deficiency, the feed I buy is a chicken feed mix that contains corn, sunflower seeds, crushed egg shells and these little red seeds, is there anything you recommend I feed him ??

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. What you are feeding sounds like what is called "scratch". Chickens love it but it's really a treat like people eat Doritos. It does not have the balanced nutrition that your chickens need. You need layer food or all purpose to give them the nutrition they need. They also need oyster shells for calcium.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    rjohns39 and AD01 like this.
  9. ellend

ellend Songster

Jul 24, 2010
    cleveland, ohio
    Treat him for scaley leg mites, treat for it as well as checking other causes. Soak and wash his legs, and Vaseline them, pushing the Vaseline up under the raised scales to smother the mites. Scaly leg mites are painful, so regardless of what his current condition is caused by, it should be treated immediately. Check your other chickens for it, also.

rjohns39, Willowspirit and AD01 like this.
  10. AD01

AD01 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    Thanks, I shall try this as soon as possible.

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: