1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken has swollen abdomen 4 times what it should be!HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feather Hearts, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Out Of The Brooder

One of lovely red sex hens, is only one year old and she has something wrong. Mum thinks she eggbind or it could be a tumor. I was feeding them this morning when i noticed her. She wasn't racing for the food, she didn't respond when I touched her and she's hardly moving. I don't know what's wrong or if i can do anything, If there's nothing i can do can someone at least please give me tips on making her more comfortable. What I can tell is that it hurts when she moves her legs.
    PLZ REPLY~ Feather Hearts

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Sounds like she is egg bound.

3. Feather Hearts

Anything I can do? To make her more comfortable?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen. Is her lower belly full an tight, as it might be if she was full of fluid? Or does it feel hard like a tumor? Ascites or waterbelly can be a sign of heart failure, liver disease, and egg yolk peritonitis. Tumors can also be common, but egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying can sometimes cause swelling in the belly. To check for egg binding, you can insert a finger 1-2 inches (2 cm) inside the vent opening. Ascites fluid can be removed occasionally by inserting an 18 gauge needle to drain some of the fluid. If you do a search for ascites at the top of this page in the search box for many threads to read.

5. Feather Hearts

Thanks. It is tight, but not very hard.

6. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Ascites is another possibility I was not thinking about. If you take a rubber glove and stick your finger up the vent like mentioned above and feel an egg, she is egg bound. If not, then my next guess would be ascites. You would be lucky if it is ascites, because it is an easy fix. Some other ascites symptoms are discolored comb and heavy breathing. All you would have to do is stick a syringe in where it is puffy and drain the fluid. Syringes can be hard to obtain and can only legally be obtained from vets so you may have trouble getting one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by