Chicken has tail feathers constantly tucked down & spends much time laying down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aussiemtz, Jun 9, 2016.

1. aussiemtz

aussiemtz New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    One of my Australorpe hens constantly has her tail feathers tucked right down and rarely does have them standing upright like all the other chickens. I have also noticed that she spends a lot of her time sitting down on the ground both in the yard and the coop. Is there anything wrong with her? I haven't noticed a bunch of poop stuck to her bottom so am wondering what else it could be.

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

could she be eggbound?

3. aussiemtz

aussiemtz New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    I am not sure if she is or isn't. If she is what would I do about this? Thanks for replying.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    How long has she been this way? An egg bound hen usually doesn't last past 48 hours.

You can check for an egg by inserting a gloved finger into her vent (use Vaseline!). You won't have to go far at all.

If you feel one, you can search at the top of the forum for a multitude of treatments for egg binding.

If you don't find an egg, I'd check her over for lice and mites next. Part the feathers around her vent, and you may see reb-brown bugs or clusters of white eggs around the base of the feathers. Treatment is Sevin dust, three times total, once every seven days.

When was the last time you wormed your flock?

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by