Chicken has tumor/Scab looking thing growing on her head... HELP.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gabrielle, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    My Rhode Island Red has a scabby looking thing growing on her head. People said it was a 'Pox Scab' and to treat it with iodine and it would go down, this is day 3 of treating her with iodine and it only seems to be in diffrent places. I can't tell if it is actually going down, but she seems to not like it. Should I be worried? What else can I do to help her? Is it the wrong desiese I think it is? Pictures hopefully soon to come. [​IMG]

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, try to get pics. If it is pox, there will be more than one, it will be all over.

3. Gabrielle

Jul 9, 2011
    Quote:It's starting to show up in different places. I will have pictures soon.

4. Gabrielle

Jul 9, 2011
  5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Then that's dry pox. You can treat it if you want, but you don't have to. Treating the pox marks with betadine/iodine will prevent secondary infections, but chickens don't generally get too many secondary infections. Treatment will also shorten the duration of the illness.

Overall, pox is a nuisance and looks awful, but is really no big deal. Your birds should bounce right through it without a hitch.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by