chicken has two bottoms

chrissyl

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Hello...I have a new pullett who is acting very healthy and normal except she had a bit of a dirty bottom. I cleaned and clipped area and see that she has two bottom holes - side by side (horizontally) - with a sort of boney area in-between. Not sure if I should put her down humanely before she starts to lay eggs (probably have a couple of weeks max).. as I dont know if this is going to be an issue for her and do not want her to suffer.
thanks Chrissy

I would not put her down. There have been numerous threads of chicks with 2 vents here on BYC who have survived, and even laid eggs into adulthood. Make sure that she is pooping out of one of the openings. The other side could be her oviduct opening. Here is a picture from one thread where several people reported this birth defect:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-2-vents-graphic-pic-update.30245/

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_14-18-31.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-12_14-18-31.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 30
  • upload_2018-8-12_14-18-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-12_14-18-49.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I would not put her down. There have been numerous threads of chicks with 2 vents here on BYC who have survived, and even laid eggs into adulthood. Make sure that she is pooping out of one of the openings. The other side could be her oviduct opening. Here is a picture from one thread where several people reported this birth defect:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-with-2-vents-graphic-pic-update.30245/

Thankyou sooooo much - I will check the poop scenario and keep a very close eye on her...not keen at all to put her down. :)

Yeah, wow! Not something I've ever dealt with, but interesting. Will be watching this thread to see how she does, good luck with her!
Thanks - I will be watching her closely. She looks just like the bantam in the first thread - do you still want a pic or is that too much info/been covered. I dont want to gross anyone out too much :)

Back
Top Bottom