chicken has weird rock like thingy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Nov 7, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    I picked up my favorite girl and was putting her back in the coop when i noticed a rock like substance (almost looked like a shell in her stomach)
    It was hard. i tried peeling it off, but it didnt come off.
    once one of my rir had a bumblefoot and on its own, it fell off and the rir chicken compleltey healed on her own. i am thinking its a sore and is infected. its cream color, almost resembling a rock. it is not black at all.
    i have never seen this before. its on the stomach i believe. its the undercarriage. any clues? i could not get a picture as hubby left our only camera at his brothers house the other night.
    heres some more info, i cut/pasted from the index of emergencies etc. thread.

puzzled.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) i believe she is a cochin. small, about almost 2 years old
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. she doesnt seem to be having unusal behavior
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just saw it today.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. not that i can see
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. i havent a clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes eating and drinking normal
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.poop looks normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? i would like advice, without having to see a vet. that would honestly be too costly
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i posted above about the graphics of it
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use she is with 10 others and 4 ducks in a large, well ventalited coop. pine shavings for bedding. roosts available to all inside.

[​IMG]

here she is...she was in the house weeks ago, because other chickens were bullys. she is back out with them. i see no sign of bullying or blood.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is it on the keel bone? A picture of the sore would help some.

I have a large, heavy hen who gets those sores often, probably because of the way she sits on their roost shelf edge. It sort of makes a blister and becomes a scab. I've removed the scab and put antibiotic ointment, but it comes back all the time.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I think thats exactly it. its more like a med size scab. she sits on the roosts most of the time.
    i wish i could take a picture, no camera right now. i know a picture would help. should i try and peel it off? or will this just come off? thanks,

andrea-

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    oh is the keel bone, underneath?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The keel bone is the breast bone down the center of the chest. I wouldn't peel it off, necessarily. I've done that on my hen and it leaves a big open wound you have to watch for infection. You can put antibiotic ointment on it, but I think it will be chronic, if my Meg is any indication. That area tends to rub on the edge of her roost shelf, probably just the way she sits every night, and makes a blister. Unless you can stop the hen from sitting the way she does every night, not sure it will go away.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    okay, thank you for replying back to me. ill have to get some antibotic for her. can she use the human kind of antiboiotic? going to have to watch her and the bumpy thing. as soon as i can, ill take a photo. thank you

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    From chicken health handbook:
    Breast blister aka keel cyst, keel bursitis, sternal bursitis
    Incidence: common
    Symptoms: in growing and mature cocks, particularly of the heavy breeds: large blister on keel that eventually becomes a callus or thick scar.
    Mortality: low
    Cause: irritation and inflamation due to pressure of breast bone against roost or wire floor.
    Transmition: not contagious

I have left a bit out but that is what I found. I will post the pic that is listed with it in a moment.

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    [​IMG] [/img]

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awesome thank you. would love a picture so i can compare. i have yet to find one online. (sigh)

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:awe man. not quite it. however because it looks like techni color. it could be. i wish i had my camera, dang it. mmm its more like a rock color, formation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by