Chicken has worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ninajones77, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ninajones77

ninajones77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Hi all, I hope somebody can help. My 4year old frizzle has worms and I've put de worming medicine in the food but she is not eating it or drinking. She was absolutely fine on Monday then Tuesday I noticed she was a little sad looking and then I watched her and found a worm so got medicine straight away. Now she's not eating or drinking and her poop is kind of creamy colour [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What type of wormer are you using? The problem with mixing wormers in the water or food is that it can make it taste bad, then they won't eat. I don't know that that is the case with your chicken. Feed some xhopped egg or tuna to get her eating, and put fresh feed out. My chickens love when I put a bowl of their feed and a lot of water in it to make it soupy. I recommend using a wormer such as SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Valbazen orally which you will know they have gotten the right dose. If you want dosages I can give you them. Have had your chicken tested for worms by taking in a fresh sample or two to your vet, or have you seen worms in the poop? Round worms are the ones most commonly seen, but there can be other kinds unseen as well as worm eggs. Poop pictures are helpful. Doesit look like there could be any egg-like material in it? Are there other symptoms you are seeing?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. ninajones77

Apr 19, 2016
    I have brought her in the house and made her a bed up. I've mashed her food and have hand fed her and she is eating a bit, I've hand fed her water too and she having that. Her crop is barely there. She is 4 and hasn't laid any eggs for 2-3 weeks now other that's that no other visible symptoms

5. ninajones77

Apr 19, 2016
    Oh and the wormer is flubenvet. I'm from the uk

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by