Chicken has yellowing around eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andie2u, Feb 13, 2013.

1. andie2u

andie2u New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    New England, USA
    Today I didn't see one of my polish chickens outside I went in to check on her and change water and feed, she was behind the water bucket and I thought she was just drinking. When I changed the water I noticed she didn't look right just sat there. I picked her up and she didn't run not like her. Her skin around her eyes are yellow. Does that mean anything the others are white. I put her by herself with some food and water after noticing one other peck at her and she didn't run. They peck at each other all the time but usually run. This one doesnt'look right not sure but looks a little sluggish and the yellowing not sure what that is do you have any suggestions. when I left the coop she was eating I gave her cracked corn this is new this past week that wouldn't do it would it. And I gave her chicken feed and fresh water.

2. andie2u

andie2u New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    New England, USA
    Still nothing new she was on her side today but now sitting up I have her isolated and have given her Meal worms and cottage cheese she has eaten a little. This is day three I was hopeing she would improve alot but she has lost weight and yesterday I felt a lump on her breast to the right of the breast bone. Rather large about a golf ball size. I am open for suggestions gave her the Tbsp of epsom salts with water but she hated that.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    When you say she's yellow where the rest of the chickens are white, do you mean the white of the eyeball itself or actually the skin surrounding the eyeball... and you're sure she had white skin to begin with? (I have some hens that naturally have yellow "eyeliner") As for the lump, is it possible you're feeling her crop? How hard is it?

4. andie2u

andie2u New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    New England, USA
    No it was a lump off to the side I tried everything she was thin two days ago she passed away today. Thank you for contacting me though you were the only one.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Awww shoot! I'm so sorry for your loss. I came back just to check in on ya!

6. andie2u

andie2u New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    New England, USA
    Thank you not sure what happened, dusted coop I have never used a wormer and yet I see on here that you should and I don't know anyone who has went to buy a wormer Wazine which says don't use on egg layers right on the label and the Tractor Supply store didn't have anything else. Is this safe to use what do you do?

7. SvbHvman

SvbHvman New Egg

Apr 4, 2015
    This is while past but I thought it was pertinent to anyone looking for a solution to a similar issue. You don't need to use chemical dewormers on your chickens. We use diatomaceous earth (DE) on all our animals. You can pick it up at Tractor Supply or the Co-Op. Get food grade, not the pool filter stuff. Just put a little in their feed and it will do the trick. Every few months I put a hand full into the can (or bag) their food is in and mix it in. I also sprinkle it on the dog's food occasionally to ensure they stay worm free. I also keep a plastic child's play pool with about 4 inches of DE in it for the chickens to take "dirt baths" in. They use all the time and it keeps just about every type of parasite off of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by