Chicken hasn't laid in 2 months. Now molting.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThelmaOrLouise, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ThelmaOrLouise

ThelmaOrLouise Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2015
    SC
    So I have a red sex linked hen that I have had for about 8 months. When I bought her the seller told me she was about 13 months old and had already had her first molt. She laid abundantly until 2 months ago. Then her shells got thin and she stopped laying completely. She has a good diet, isn't sick, acts normal. I thought maybe she was just older than the seller realized as they had a lot of hens. But now she is molting. Isn't 2 months a bit excessive to go with out laying before a molt? I'm a newbie but kind of at a loss here...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sex links often burn out early and just quit laying between 1-2 years. Molting this time of year will often be caused by stress or being broody.

3. ThelmaOrLouise

Oct 27, 2015
    SC
    Well can she be broody if she isn't laying? I don't think she is stressed. If she is I don't know why.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Usually the first molt doesn't happen until around 18 months of age and usually in the fall.

What exactly are you feeding?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens lay a clutch of eggs than quit laying to go broody, so if you remove her eggs she doesn't care she's still broody, it's a biological hormonal state, they don't lay while broody, that would add eggs to a clutch and cause many to not hatch. So they stop laying a day or so before beginning to set.

6. ThelmaOrLouise

Oct 27, 2015
    SC
    Layena crumbles and they free range. Also have access to oyster shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by