Chicken hatched in April - will it lay soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicabee19, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    this is an RIR hen.

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, 20 weeks old is the key window to start looking for eggs....getting closer eh?

bigzio

3. sfcityfarmer

sfcityfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    My hens are just getting going, they were hatched in mid March. The first one started two weeks ago, two of the four haven't yet gotten with the program.

4. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    All 17 of mine were hatched April 9 and I have been getting 7 eggs a day for a couple weeks

5. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    My RIRs were hatched April 7. I have 31 hens and 12 of them have started to lay and it seems 1 or 2 more start every few days so I don't think you'll have long to wait [​IMG]

6. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Interested in knowing what color are the eggs you are getting? White & Brown? I have 6 19 week ago BO's and 3 Calf Whites, but no eggs. [​IMG] Thanks!

7. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Anytime! My April BO babies started 2 weeks ago. Still waiting on her sisters though. Keep watching, they'll be there anytime now.

8. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:Interested in knowing what color are the eggs you are getting? White & Brown? I have 6 19 week ago BO's and 3 Calf Whites, but no eggs. [​IMG] Thanks!

I am getting a mixture of brown and white. The browns seem to out number the white eggs right now. But the white eggs are bigger.

9. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My hens free range all day and I am feeding layer pellets. What do yours eat? What signs did you see prior to laying? Yes, I am getting impatient! [​IMG]

10. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Well mine free range all day as well. Really the first sign I seen was an egg in the coop. [​IMG]

Now they are like machines, 7 a day sometimes 8

Oh and after I seen the first egg I dumped layer mash in with their grower, now that the grower is all gone they are on just layer mash.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by