Chicken hatcher going goose, what should I know??

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Hello goose people! I love my chickens and know how to hatch their eggs with reasonable success. Now a neighbor wants me to try incubating some goose eggs for him. I understand that goose eggs are trickier, and require 28-30 days incubation. What else is different about hatching geese please? Thank you so much!

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I read the article at the top of the forum, very informative. I’m always a little sad reading about candling eggs, with my poor vision I never manage to see anything beyond a few veins (I can’t read ultrasounds either).

Do you mean the incubation guide by Pete? That's a really good reference. The misting and cooling it talks about is highly recommended, and is one of the major differences between chicken eggs and goose eggs.

FoodFreedomNow

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Nothings really different but you may want to try some thingsto get a betterhatch:
@FoodFreedomNow can you explain the benefits of misting and cooling?
In a nutshell, it simulates the dampening and cooling that a (waterfowl) broody does when incubating her eggs. I've observed Muscovy broodies carefully splashing their keel area and then returning to their nests - if it's good enough for them - and they have excellent hatch rates - it's good enough for me, too. 😁

Here's the thread where @pete55 describes the process in detail.

Top Bottom