Chicken hatchers and breeders, I need your help, quick

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by beneduck14, Jun 20, 2017.

1. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA
    So a company was supposed to ship us 90 eggs this Sunday but they didn't know that fedex had overnight delivery so it's coming tomorrow morning!! Trouble is, I am going out of town in the afternoon after receiving the eggs and will be gone for 2 nights and 3 days! In total, the eggs will be sitting in the counter for almost 4. WHAT DO I DO??
    (I can't start them in incubator because they are not in the mail yet and I cannot turn them when they are in storage because I'm not home!)

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Have someone staying behind that could help you?
    If not..there is not much you can do.

3. beneduck14

beneduck14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2015
    Cattlet, VA

No there isn't. It there anything I can do to help it at least? I've read about covering with plastic bags, humidifier, and all sorts of crazy stuff. Hopefully the hatch rate won't drop, the eggs were donated and are for a project :(

4. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Honestly I am not sure...
    Couldn't you just leave them sitting there, un wrapped though ??
    I wouldn't do "too" much to them while you were gone.

5. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    First take a deep breath. 2nd have you read Sally sunshines Incubation thread about shipped eggs?

I received shipped eggs almost 3 weeks ago. The ACs were rolling, wobbly and saddled. Not to mention large already. Because of that I only let them rest 6hrs before they went in the incubator & I didn't turn them for 4 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by