Chicken hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Justhatched, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    What hatchery do you prefer? I am looking for heritage breed egg laying chickens. I want about 8 of them. Is there a hatchery you like best? Is there one I should stay away from?

Thanks.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Can't help you with the hatcheries since I've never used one but you can't get heritage breeds from a hatchery. You'll get hatchery breeds!! If you want a true heritage breed find a breeder that has the kind you want!! Good Luck!

3. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Can't help you with the hatcheries since I've never used one but you can't get heritage breeds from a hatchery. You'll get hatchery breeds!! If you want a true heritage breed find a breeder that has the kind you want!! Good Luck!

ahhh but let us not forget that Delawares are a heritage breed... and they were created by a hatchery

To answer the OP... as far as Delawares go... Privitte (spelling) is one of the best, stay away from Meyers IMHO (for Delawares) - I can't speak for all hatcheries and all breeds but I have some high end breeder stock and run of the mill hatchery stock... sometimes the hatchery stock is closer to SOP than some of the breeders.... just got to do your homework if SOP is what you are after. Just because someone is labled "breeder" doesn't mean they automatically are better. Just sayin'

It comes down to what breed you want and what you want out of your birds (show, meat, eggs?? all the above?) I also love to remind people that some "breeders" supply hatching eggs to hatcheries. Gabbard Farm is the biggest one... you can find Julie Gabbard's eggs listed like a breeder on auction sites and they supply to MPC and Meyers.

Can you tell that "breeders are better" thing is a bit un-nerving to me? It leaves room for people to be hogwashed. Generally speaking hatchery stock will be skinny and less than perfect... and SHOW breeder (who you can find in the APA and ABA websites under their "master breeders" and "master exhibitors" lists) will have closer to SOP stock... HOWEVER alot of show people will cross breeds to get qualities they want... if preserving a heritage breed is what you want, you may find it even harder to find the stock you really want. Then again, all breeds outside of jungle fowl have been crossed - sometimes with a list of breeds making the one.

There are still lines out there that go back (XW Barred Rocks come to mind) 100+ years and are as truely "heritage" as you can get, but finding these lines and having the money to obtain them is another story.

If it was me (and it has been and will be again), I would START with the APA and ABA list of master breeders and exhibitors... these ppls birds have won more often than others. I would stay away from breeders who just started with chickens this year or breeders who do not own a SOP (and they are out there). Another place to go for heritage stock (but all the same advice applies) is the ALBC breeders list. Just remember, no one has to prove or show stock to get on the list... it's up to you to know the SOP of the breed you want and judge their quality.

Sorry for the long wind... it's one of my soapboxes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by