Chicken Hatching Problems

Sunshine Farms

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2018
'' In The Stix On A Mountain Top ''
Okay , so as you know from afore mentioned with SHELBY that we are having hatching issues .
We get a pretty good hatch rate for the most part, But lately we are still losing alot in the eggs from being in the incubator the humidity and the temperature are electronically controlled and maintained.

But , we still seem to keep having some that does not make it or comes out and has claw issues and later die .

I am new to this so I am just wondering what could be causing this ? And what can we do to get a better hatch rate that makes it through the incubation/ Transfer process ?

We had 23 Hatch and make it through .... They are all strong and healthy !
But like that 23/56 that made it out okay .

Any and all advice would be helpful .

Thank You ,

Sunshine Farms

There are many factors at play here.

What incubator model are you using?

How many were fertile? A bad fertility rate means a bad rooster.

How old were the eggs? I keep mine in a cool place and turn them(the whole carton) every day.

I usually have upper 80s to upper 90 percent of fertile hatch rates. But sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.

There are many factors at play here.

What incubator model are you using?

How many were fertile? A bad fertility rate means a bad rooster.

How old were the eggs? I keep mine in a cool place and turn them(the whole carton) every day.

I usually have upper 80s to upper 90 percent of fertile hatch rates. But sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.

We are using The incubators that incubate 56 at a time it is digitally controlled
and have to keep humidity up with water bottles . We got 27 out of 56 this time around that survived . The rooster is very healthy and not old at all .. We raised him from a chick also . We are getting very good fertilization rate . The eggs are freshly scooped up every 3 days .

We are using The incubators that incubate 56 at a time it is digitally controlled
and have to keep humidity up with water bottles . We got 27 out of 56 this time around that survived . The rooster is very healthy and not old at all .. We raised him from a chick also . We are getting very good fertilization rate . The eggs are freshly scooped up every 3 days .
Could you post some of the variables of this particular hatch? Such as how many were fertile? What temperature did you run it?, what Humidity through the entire process? How many days did you store them after you collected them?

Are these eggs large? In my experience, smaller eggs hatch many times better than jumbo ones.

Did they hatch out early or late? I don't see a breed mentioned, but some breeds are much harder to hatch.

And lastly, do you have another thermometer in the incubator just in case the built-in one is off?

Yes, larger eggs definitely do have a harder time hatching. When I hatch eggs, only the medium and small ever hatch. Keeping a temperature and humidity backup is important too. I had bought one for mine and the humidity wasn't quite close but the temperature was way off!

I bought a 56 incubator, found the plastic lid allowed heat to escape, cool spots, digital display didn't work. Lost my first batch of eggs. Contacted seller, they told me to take it apart and put it back together to make sure all connections are good. Cost more to send back . Someone on thistsite bought one and they put a blanket on top to keep heat in. Just bought a Harris farm 22 at TSC, got 18 out of 22. My rcom has a great hatch rate. I put my chickens on organic feed & give sunflower seeds for vitamin E & selenium which is important for chicks development. I got 100% hatch rate with my brahmas in my rcom. If rooster is too closely related, you can get genetically weak offspring.

I would suspect the incubator as the first problem. Inaccurate meters, unless you added independently tested ones. And/or humidity issue. Are you running humidity too high prior to the last 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom