Chicken hatching quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jedwards, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I threw a little more than a dozen quail eggs that I had in the refrigerator for just a little over 2 weeks underneath my Cochin hen, along with the 3 eggs that she was already sitting on and thought oh what the heck. Everyone I asked said the eggs wouldn't develop because they were in the fridge too long or the hen would crush the eggs/chicks. To be honest I completely forgot about the whole thing until yesterday and I checked underneath the hen and there sat all the eggs. I had no idea how many days it had been but judging by candling the chicken eggs they've been under there long enough. So today I went to check them again and I lifted the hen up and what do you know, there were 7 quail chicks and 3 more pipping. I made the decision to take the quail chicks away from her and I'll leave her the chicken eggs, but I just wanted to share the story/progress with you guys! Never doubt the broody hen!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Amazing! Is she a bantam or standard Cochin? My bantam Cochin is pretty small, I think she could probably sit on and hatch quail. They are the tiniest little babies though, and I'd be worried about them getting squished too! Congrats :)

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Thank you! She's probably less than two pounds so she's not a standard I don't think. But she impressed me to say the least!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by