chicken having a problem walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anet, Feb 3, 2012.

1. anet

anet New Egg

Feb 2, 2012

• After being lost in the cold for a few days my chicken came back but can not walk very well, we have her inside now and she is eating and drinking, . she is walking slow and body seems lower to the ground than normal , we thought that she might be egg-bound so we checked last night and oiled her up, now I'm not sure if that is the problem, she seems to be limping a bit but nothing seems broken .....do you think that she is just weak from lack of food and water? she seemed to sit on a perch ok when I helped her up....i have no idea....the poor thing only has one eye so I am afraid the other chickens will attack her and she wont be able to defend herself. I guess I will keep her inside my house and hopefully she will get stronger and heal. Anysuggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you

2. anet

anet New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    ok tried to copy and paste from another forum but it didnt work, it so I will try again......I have a chicken( her name is one eye) that has been in the house with us for a few days, she was lost out in the cold for 3 days and when shecame back could not walk very well, first we thought that she was egg bound but now we are thiking that it may b one of her legs, nothing seems to be broken but she is walking very slow, I would like to bring her back outside with the other girls but am afraid that they will attack her. is there something that I should be looking for to try ad help her before I bring her back, I just dont think that she will be able to defend herself in this weakened state plus she only has one eye. Anyhelp would be appreciated, thank you

3. anet

anet New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    brought her outside with the other hens and they attacked her she cant run away fast enough so she is back inside with me, I guess I will just have to figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by