1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken having difficulty breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CityGirlFarming, Apr 27, 2011.

1. CityGirlFarming

CityGirlFarming New Egg

Jan 22, 2011
    I have a black australop who is just over a year old. Yesterday she was droopy and lethargic so I brought her in. I thought she might be egg bound so I gave her a warm bath and massaged her belly and coated vent with mineral oil. It hasn't helped.

Today she's having a hard time breathing. It's a labored breathing, but not like a cold. There's not mucus or anything. It almost seems like there's something caught down there some how.

She's not eating much unless I hand feed her. She's not drinking unless I use an eye dropper and force it down her. She's not pooping, either.

I just gave her half a baby asprin dissolved in water. Although she'll talk back to me if I chat with her, she's very sleepy-like and very still. Her comb and wattles seem to be normal color, etc.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Please.

2. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Reposting for you with the hopes someone who knows how to help will see your message...

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    It still sounds like egg bound, ummm... Have you looked "up" the vent to make sure? If she isn't egg bound, I'm not sure [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not eating or drinking do not sound good. I'm afraid it is going to be something not fixable, heart or liver or egg laying system.... I'm sorry I have nothing else to offer. I hope she somehow turns around and starts feeling better.

5. CityGirlFarming

CityGirlFarming New Egg

Jan 22, 2011
    I thought she was egg bound, too. So, I gave her a warm bath and I lubricated her vent with mineral oil, but I couldn't feel anything, and it hasn't made any difference for her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by