Chicken having hard time getting around

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brianpatton, Jan 9, 2014.

1. brianpatton

brianpatton New Egg

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi there,
    I have a abnormally large chicken 4 months old. Her body is the same as the other 21 hens but her legs are extremely long. New chicken parents we just thought she was TALL. Right before we left on a two week vacation she started to crouch down not roost all the way to ground and kind of rock back and forth. I thought maybe she was trying to lay. Well, this isnt the case, she has a hard time walking at all as if she has lost her balance. She shutters forward then sits down and her legs are all distorted, like one toe is one way and the other is another. Almost as if her legs are failing her.This is really sad to watch. She is eating and drinking fine. We also had a tail pecking problem when we where gone too which we believe its due to them not free ranging. So, we are trying to sort this out. Do you know of a disease or something that has caused this chicken to have problems with her legs. Has been going on now for 3 weeks. I do not want her to suffer yet dont want to kill her if its just minor(which my heart says its not).

In Issaquah

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Other things to consider would be a head injury or a vitamin deficiency, but I would be a little suspicious of Mareks.

4. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Can you post a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by