Chicken having trouble breathing

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
As some of you know, a couple of days ago one of my hens was bitten on the head my my chihauhau mix. Her wound is fine now, but the blood that leaked into her nostril is causing her to have a hard time breathing. Her breathing sounds kind of like a goose when it hisses at you (that's what I thought it was when I first heard it) and she breaths with her mouth slightly open. She is starting to get kind of listless, and I am worried that she won't make it. Is there anything I can do to help her? Thanx!
smile.png

Quote:
No, I don't have any vitamins currently. I do have some Apple Cider Vinegar, would that help?

I actually found some old antibiotics, but when I added it to her water it turned all foamy and now she won't drink it.
sad.png
I also made her some scrambled eggs with a little bit of cat food and some Layena. I don't think she is eating either though. Her breathing continues to get worse, and she puffs up her feathers and just sits there gasping. I called our neighbor, who is a vet, but she isn't home. I feel so helpless. If I don't get her help soon, she probably won't make it.

I dumped out her old water and put some ACV in there. She was eating when I went to check on her, so that is a good sign.
smile.png
Someone suggested to me that I put an old vaporizer in there to help her breath. I guess I could try that, though I really don't know what is causing the problem. Fingers crossed that she lives.
fl.gif

Is there anyway you can wash out her nostril that has the blood in it? seems like there should be a way, hope you can talk to your neighbor too.

Thanks. I thought it was blood in her nostril at first, but now I am wondering if her lung was punctured or something??? I hate to stress her out more, but I will go see.
smile.png

I just looked at the anatomy of a chicken, and it seems possible that her larynx or her trachea could have been punctured without me noticing.
hmm.png
Is there any way to fix that? The weird thing is, she went an entire 12 hours after being bitten before she started wheezing.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom