Chicken having trouble walking and breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Greyna9975, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Greyna9975

Greyna9975 New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Laredo
    Im a first time chicken owner and i have a 4 month old, female cubalaya chicken who is having a hard time breathing and has her beak slightly open and gasping for air; this barely started happening a few hours ago any ideas on what might be wrong? Also few days ago she stopped walking properly and when she tries to stand she drags one foot and ends up spinning in a circle. She has a chicken feed diet and water with a bit of tetracycline hydrochicloride soluble powder. I have her isolated and with a heat lamp and just cleaned poop from around her butt.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Post in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" section.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome, and yes, post in the section mentioned above. Good luck to you!

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :welcome
    Best of luck to you

5. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Try splinting her foot and giving her apple cider vinigar in her water one tbls to a gallon.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you seen any other ill chickens recently? I wish I knew what was wrong with your chicken, but it sounds pretty serious. Do you have a vet that could see her? Is it very hot where you live? Do you think that she has a respiratory disease? I would make sure that she is near food and water, and put some vitamins and electrolytes in her water. If she doesn't recover, I would get a necropsy done by the state vet or poultry lab to find out what was wrong.

7. Greyna9975

Greyna9975 New Egg

May 4, 2016
    Laredo
    I took her to the vet and it turned out she had somehow contracted an infection from a crow and they gave her an antibiotic and she passed away earlier today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by