Chicken hawks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jfunkle, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jfunkle

jfunkle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    I had one of my roosters get killed by a chicken hawk a few years back, and have seen tons of chicken hawks going for my chickens, can someone tell me the best way to keep them away from my chickens?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    It is impossible to keep a chicken hawk away from your chickens. But it is possible to keep your chickens away from the chicken hawk.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Cover your run with wire. Free ranging may call for less of it or monitoring them with a high powered pellet rifle within reach.

4. jfunkle

jfunkle Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks that helped a lot

5. ginods

ginods Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    erwinna, pa
    I got a pair of African geese to protect our flock. The male sounds an alarm if he sees something fly over head like a hawk. I've witnesses this and all the girls run for cover. Also heard from neighbors that a rooster can do the same thing

6. fordtrucks6202

fordtrucks6202 Out Of The Brooder

How old will a rooster need to be before he will start alerting a flock? We have 4 roosters that are almost 4 months old, not crowing or even venturing outside much with the larger hens.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have dogs that patrol the back yard - they go on high alert when they hear the chickens set off the alarm call. When hawks roost in the trees nearby and scope out my birds, I will fire a shotgun into the air (no, I don't shoot them) - that shoos them away. Others take their place but the ones that hear the gun seem to scram.

8. fordtrucks6202

fordtrucks6202 Out Of The Brooder

Dad and I are wondering if there were any other birds that could help with alerting for hawks. Dad has had geese in the past and feels they are way too noisy. I was wondering would peafowl help as well?

9. jhabaa1

jhabaa1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Dickinson, TX
    Our Roos do alert, not only the hens, but us as well

10. jhabaa1

jhabaa1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    Dickinson, TX
    Oh, they are about 6 -7 mos old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by