Chicken head and tail drooping

Pics

LightAurora589

Chirping
Dec 31, 2021
Since this morning, our chicken has had head and tail drooping (although the tail drooping is not shown in the pictures). She has been very lethargic and drowsy. She has always had breathing problems since we got her about 9 months ago. Her poop is watery and green/white. She would not drink by herself so we gave her electrolite water through a syringe. She wouldn't eat normal feed so we gave her mushy feed and she ate some of it. Her eyes and nose have not shown runniness besides her nose being a bit sticky with small black marks on it. She still walks around slowly, and when she is not in her cage her eyes remain open. We have been holding her, and her eyes sometimes close there as well. One of our chickens that were in her flock died of Merricks about half a year ago, so we are worried this girl may be succumbing to it as well. She is not experiencing weight loss however which our other girl who passed away did. We have isolated her inside the garage, and have a lamp on her in the cage. Right now we are holding her while wrapped up in towels.but are not sure what to do next. I don't believe I will be able to take to her to a vet. Note for the blue on her in pictures: We sprayed her with Gerrmocidal medicne to coat her featherless skin to shield from the sun and help her regrow her feathers,

Attachments

• sick chicken 3.jpg
    sick chicken 3.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 106
  • sick chicken 2.jpg
    sick chicken 2.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 6
  • sick chicken 1.jpg
    sick chicken 1.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 4
  • sick chicken 4.jpg
    sick chicken 4.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 5
Have you checked her over for lice or mites.

Check to make sure the feed is clean and mold free.

Look inside her beak and see if there's any foreign growth and smell her breath.

When the others respond they can guide you better than I can.

Is her crop emptying at night? Does it feel full?

Scrambled eggs are a good source of nutrition if she will eat any.

A close up of the marks on her nose could help those more qualified see exactly what it looks like.

Have you checked her over for lice or mites.

Check to make sure the feed is clean and mold free.

Look inside her beak and see if there's any foreign growth and smell her breath.

When the others respond they can guide you better than I can.
We have not spotted any lice or mites. We also give them Diatmaceous Earth in their food and bedding which has it in it. We checked her beak and don't see any growths. Her breath smells normal maybe a tiny bit sickly. The food she was eating outside is clean and mold free. The food in the container is also clean and mold free and we have never had a problem with mold in it. Thank you for your responses we really appreciate it.

Is her crop emptying at night? Does it feel full?

Scrambled eggs are a good source of nutrition if she will eat any.

A close up of the marks on her nose could help those more qualified see exactly what it looks like.
Her crop felt relativley empty. It still had some stuff in it though more than usually. That is a good idea thank you should i give them to her right now? I will take the pictures of the nose too.

What type of breathing problems has she had? Any gasping, crackles or wheezing, sneeze or cough? Have you ever seen bubbles in either eye? How does her crop feel —empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy/soft? Does it empty by the next morning? Does she lay eggs ? Green poop is a sign that she is not eating. Reproductive disorders or a crop problem could be a problem. She may be having early symptoms of Mareks, but hard to know for sure.

What type of breathing problems has she had? Any gasping, crackles or wheezing, sneeze or cough? Have you ever seen bubbles in either eye? How does her crop feel —empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy/soft? Does it empty by the next morning? Does she lay eggs ? Green poop is a sign that she is not eating. Reproductive disorders or a crop problem could be a problem. She may be having early symptoms of Mareks, but hard to know for sure.

She seems to have gasped for air, sneezed, crackles, wheezing and sneezing, right now the crop is doughy, she finally ate and drink a bit and looks better but in the morning when I first checked her crop it was sometimes hard, sometimes doey and sometimes puff/soft. The crop has usually empited by the morning pretty consistently but as of this morning it seemed to have a bit of food left over but not to much. She has consistantly been laying eggs, though none today.

Back
Top Bottom