Chicken head caught in solar powered door

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tswanick, Jun 25, 2019.

1. tswanick

tswanick In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Whitinsville, MA
    Greetings All, Last night, while I watched from the porch, two chickened lingered at the door at dusk. The door started coming down and one chicken seemed to feel it on her back and came out of the coop, the second chicken wasn't so lucky. The door seemed to hesitate on the back on the chicken that got out but then came down on the neck of the other chicken. Thankfully I was watching, so I grabbed a flash light and ran out to the coop and got the door to reopen. Before it opened the chicken's eyes were closed and her beak was slightly open, I thought she was dead. Once the door opened she jumped up and pulled herself into the coop. I went into the coop and she was laying in the corner and her neck appeared crooked. I was able to pick her up, she was very docile, and pet her and feel around. Nothing appeared broken (but what do I know!). This morning I was happy to see she was still alive BUT her tail feathers are tucked and she seems to have a twitch in her neck/head area. She seems lethargic and I haven't seen her try to eat. I was able to get her to take one mealworm. So, is there anything else I can do? Thanks for any advice

fldiver97, Trimurtisan and rjohns39 like this.
  2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to active posting on BYC. Hopefully the ER folks will be able to provide advice :fl

Good luck

fldiver97 and Trimurtisan like this.
  3. tswanick

tswanick In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Whitinsville, MA
    Thanks! I've stalked your site for a few years and have learned a lot! Just needed to share my plight with others who would understand and perhaps have some words of encouragement and/or advice.

fldiver97, Trimurtisan and Pork Pie like this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I think I would consider putting her out of her misery if she refuses food/water.

Trimurtisan likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is exactly why I have never wanted to use an automatic pop door on my coop. I am so glad that you witnessed this and were able to rescue your two hens. Hopefully, your injured one will recover. Just be patient and give her supportive care, offer food and water, and cooked egg up to her beak, and if her neck seems injured, try some vitamin E and B complex to see if it helps.

I would probably set your timer to a time when you are sure they will be inside and on the roost. Timers need to be adjusted for the daylight hours of course. Hopefully your hen will get well, and good luck.

6. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Never trust electronic gagets. Just because it's played up on TV, and it sounds great and promises to do a good job for you, save you time, money, blah, blah, blah; doesn't mean it's any good. I'd close my chicken coop door myself before letting a computer do it for me.

7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome! Sorry your hen is injured!! If you feel it’s worth giving her a chance keep her in a quiet warm spot, offer some water or water with electrolytes... start with a dropper placing drops on the side of her beak. If she is able to drink on her own that would be great, then you can offer feed mixed with enough water to make a mash. If her neck is just bruised/swollen time and support may work. If she seems to suffer you have to think about the dreaded alternative... Sending good thoughts!

BigBlueHen53, tswanick and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    If she is up and walking and could eat a meal worm - I think she will be OK and is just bruised a little bit. I would offer soft food like scrambled eggs or her regular food soaked in water. Keep her in a dark, quiet area so she can rest.

tswanick and fldiver97 like this.
  9. tswanick

tswanick In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Whitinsville, MA

Thanks for the info. I do think she has some sort of neck injury. She seems to be having a bit of a balance issue and she is keeping her head close to her body (not extended like the other girls). The other chickens are not harming her in any way, and I do think she is eating... it's hard to be absolutely sure. Dumb question, how exactly would I give her vitamin E and B complex? Thanks!!

10. tswanick

tswanick In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Whitinsville, MA
    We've been using this solar door for four years and never had an issue. These are new chickens, and these silly girls are afraid they are missing something when it's bedtime. They have hung out at the door at sunset since we got them. I am going to unplug the device until they realize they aren't missing anything at dusk. thanks for the response.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: