Chicken Head room???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Half-a-dozen, May 3, 2008.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    How much head room does a grown chicken need from the cieling to the top of the roost?? I looked everywhere, googled it and all and it states only height of roost from the floor..... [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

2. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    I'm wondering the same thing because we'll be stacking our roosts with droppings boards to conserve space and we have a low ceiling in the coop.

I don't know how well the get up to the roosts - I don't want them smacking into the ceiling when trying to fly up.[​IMG]

3. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] ..That's exactly why I'm asking....I can see it now them flying right into the cieling.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For mine (standards), they can hunch into a 14-16" space if necessary; 20-24" or so is much more comfortable; and 26-30+" gives optimal space to stretch up on tippytoes. If that helps you any.

Good luck,

Pat

5. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    so you'd say about 20 inches from the ceiling is good??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2008
  6. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    20" or so should be good. If nothing else, get a vidio of them bumping their heads and submit it to 'Funniest Videos"!! [​IMG]

7. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:[​IMG] ...Ohhh gosh...good idea!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally I would give them more than 20" -- mine, in their winter quarters, seem to like to stand up and streeeeetch sometimes if woken up -- but 20" is *adequate* IMO. My tractor for summer use has slightly less than that and it hasn't actually killed the birds [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by