1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken head wear?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by portlandpeeps, Oct 19, 2008.

1. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    A while back I posted about my hen who's being picked on (her coop companions plucked all the feathers off her head).

The plucked hen has found a way to protect herself...during the daylight hours she uses the food bucket as armor. She hops into it as soon as the sun comes up. It seems to have helped since feathers are beginning to sprout up on her head.

The problem with her solution is she poops in the food container and that's got to be adding to the other hens annoyance with her. I could put a top on the container so she can't get into it, but then where will she hide?

So...I'm wondering if any of you crafty types can design my hen a hat or helmut to protect her from her plucking mates.

I welcome your ideas (and designs).

2. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    :eek: be careful when you open that link up, there is an image on that page that is not kid friendly :eek:

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    OMG! There is? Where? I so did not see it! I'm sorry! I just looked at the first couple of rows. Oops! I'll fix that!

ETA: What's not kid friendly? I looked it over good and there are only pics of women wearing bonnets, and a car diagram at the bottom.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  4. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah i didn't see anything either...

OHMYCHICKIES- do you have Safesearch turned on? I use that to protect my innocent little eyes, and I'm 19~ [​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    If someone comes with a pattern for one, I need it in quail size. I have a female coturnix who was injured and has a wound on her head. She desperately wants to be back with her friends after being isolated for two weeks. I'd love to have something to put on her head to let the wound continue to heal!

6. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Actually I still see it. I don't have Safesearch because I don't have a Windows system. That is probably why.

I guess whoever doesn't have safesearch on beware. That safesearch is a good idea, wish I had that.

7. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:My safe search is turned on too. Actually, I didn't know you could set it otherwise until you said something. Maybe that's why ours doesn't show anything bad?

8. Smartie_Pants

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:Okay, I'll just list the links to the direct bonnet pics and take down the search link. Don't want to have anything innapropriate up.

9. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion, I didn't even know safesearch existed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by