Chicken heart attack? *GRAPHIC PICS*

Fredf

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
We had a young chicken up and die on us. We did a narcolepsy on it and It was actually a rooster. all the organs looked good except maybe the heart. It looks like a blood clot in it. If any can confirm that’s what it looks like to them I would appreciate it. Sorry if the pic upsets anyone.
thanks.
FA4DCB76-D9E4-460E-89F9-41EEA12FF5BB.jpeg

We had a young chicken up and die on us. We did a narcolepsy on it and It was actually a rooster. all the organs looked good except maybe the heart. It looks like a blood clot in it. If any can confirm that’s what it looks like to them I would appreciate it. Sorry if the pic upsets anyone.
thanks. View attachment 2412888
How old was he and what do you feed your birds?

thanks. View attachment 2412888
That was a necropsy. He didn’t fall asleep! Haha

How old was he and what do you feed your birds?
Around 4 months old, they are eating later food along with the older hens. Black sunflower seed and meal worms for treats. They forage a lot but with winter coming pretty slim.

Around 4 months old, they are eating later food along with the older hens. Black sunflower seed and meal worms for treats. They forage a lot but with winter coming pretty slim.
How long has he been eating layer feed and do you feed these treats every day?

Did you happen to take pictures if an other organs?

How long has he been eating layer feed and do you feed these treats every day?

Did you happen to take pictures if an other organs?
I did, I had them on starter food but they ate from the big girl feeder. I usually give them scratch every morning and mix a few sunflower seed into they’re food. Thanks for replying! Don’t want to lose anymore.

Attachments

• 77D532A9-77FA-4B6D-9BEB-2C7219BFFB0C.jpeg
    77D532A9-77FA-4B6D-9BEB-2C7219BFFB0C.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 13
  • B290D913-5779-4673-862E-655923DD2E77.jpeg
    B290D913-5779-4673-862E-655923DD2E77.jpeg
    718 KB · Views: 12
I did, I had them on starter food but they ate from the big girl feeder. I usually give them scratch every morning and mix a few sunflower seed into they’re food. Thanks for replying! Don’t want to lose anymore.
So sorry for your loss! :hugs
Generally it is best not to give chickens access to scratch and treats everyday, as neither are nutritious or very healthy. A few times a week, in limited amounts, would probably be better.

Back
Top Bottom