Chicken Help Needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cnavidi, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Cnavidi

Cnavidi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    One of our chickens stopped eating for about a day. She die not want to move. She stayed in one spot and had diarrhea. She died thim morning. My two other chickens looked fine today. Does aanyone know what could have been wrong with her??

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so sorry, i have lost three in the last 4 months to simular symptoms, but mine took longer to die and had very watery diarrhea. My vet said it may be Marke's or old age, they are almost three. How old are your hens? has she been laying?was her weight down? she may have been sick for a while and you just did not notice. You have to really know your hens habits to tell if they are sick, they will hide it until the end. Check her body for mites/lice and worms so you can rule that out. good luck

3. Cnavidi

Jan 23, 2012
    My girl was under a year old. I had dusted her with DE and the coop. My concern is she would not walk, the other chickens were enjoying running around the yard and she just stood there looking out, making noises. She has an appetite. I wonder if she could have been egg bound because I. Don't think she ever laid an egg, maybe the yellow was what I. Saw on her rear feathers. Thanks for taking time to share with me. I am new to raising chickens.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The yellow and the lack of laying probably indicate she had a problem with her egg laying system such as internal laying or ovarian cancer, neither of which you can really do anything about.

5. Cnavidi

Jan 23, 2012
    good to know thanks for the reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by