Chicken help!!! ( pictures )

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boykin2010, Nov 18, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

this is my slw hen. her butt has white stuff caked all around it. i dont know what happened i just noticed it today. can someone tell me what is wrong and if it is contagious will it hurt my other hens

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your hen has a poopy butt. Give that girl a bath!

Seriously- nothing to worry about, just aesthetically unpleasing. Poopy butts are dangerous in chicks, but not much to worry about in adults.

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    well what should i do to help her. will this naturally go away or do i need to clip feathers

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I clip feathers sometimes. It will go away if the bird molts, but other than that it will be there for a good long time. A bath is usually the best option. Do your girls roost at night? I have a couple girls with poopy butts and it's caused by them not roosting at night. They lay on the floor of the coop and then poop where they lay, leading to their butts looking like the one in your picture. I don't like the way it looks, so I usually clean them up when they look like that.

5. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    they do roost at night so i dont know why it all of the sudden just happened it wasnt like that yesterday... yall dont think she has any problems or health issues do you? because i recently had a chicken die for no reason and i sent it off to be autopsied. still waiting on results

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:I't looks white?..Could be Vent Gleet..Where did you send her to?

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:This is pretty pertinent info. You should have mentioned this is your first post.

If her butt looks like this after one night, then I think there might be something more going on. I know very little about vent gleet, but there's loads of info out there on it. I know it's a yeast infection of the GI system, can be treated pretty easily, but frequently has a whole bunch of other signs and symptoms accompanying it. Is there anything else going on with this bird besides the butt?

8. Luvs chickens

Luvs chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Massachusettes
    need to bathe her. could be poopy butt or lice nest . I use dog flea tick and lice shampoo works great and the chickens love the bath and warm blow dry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by