Chicken help- rattling- holistic help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eckielady, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We purchased a Buff Orpington at an auction last night. No way to see them until they're holding them up. She is a huge girl and looked really healthy. It was late when we got home last night and she had this little rattle but we thought it was stress. This morning she is really rattling. We finally picked her up to see if her legs were okay (they're not overly gentle at the auction) and she seems find but extremely lethargic. Her eyes are pretty perky but she's sleeping a lot, we've gotten her to eat a bit and gotten some water in her plus I've gotten a little olive oil extract and acv in her. We've got her in a separate little cage out in the sun. What else can we do? We try not to do a lot of medications so I need advice for holistic things first.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Respiratory diseases are fairly common, especially when buying chickens this way from unknown breeders. She could have been without food and water for awhile before you brought her home, or she may be weak due to a respiratory disease. Look at her eyes for any watery or foamy eye, notice if she has nasal secretions and her nostrils could appear dirty from secretions and dust. Keep her quarantined from any other chickens for a least a month to watch her for other symptoms, to deworm her and check for lice and mites, and decide what to do. Infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) Coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis are some of the diseases. Most antibiotics are only available through a vet, but Tylan 50 injectable can be used to treat either by injection or orally. She may be contagious and could make carriers of your flock if she is sick. So I would proceed with caution if you have other birds. Rattling can sometimes be a sign that the crop is full and some of it is coming back up. If she comes down with full blown respiratory symptoms, I would probably put her down.

3. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Her eyes are clear and pretty alert. I'll check her nose again but I haven't seen anything there so far. Just heavy rattling, lethargy and labored breathing (just?). I checked the three new ones last night (as best I could in the dark) for any creepy crawlies and didn't see any signs of that.

4. Traveler17

Traveler17 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    I hope to help but i don't know the treatment for thar

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is not much that you can do except give her the Tylan 50 for 5 days, and keep her warm, while trying to get her to eat and drink well. Offer her some chopped egg, and put a little plain yogurt or buttermilk for probiotics in her feed. Get 5 3 ml syringes with 22 gauge needles 1/2 inch long or so. Dosage is 1 ml twice a day for 5 days.

[​IMG]

6. Traveler17

Traveler17 Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Is there any medicine has the same efficiency of tylan can i try to my chicks cuz i didnt find it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by