1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JNLVD, Jul 8, 2016.

1. JNLVD

JNLVD New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Hey guys so I have 6, 5week old chickens and they are finally outside. My problem is that they sometimes don't go inside their roosting area at night I think it's because i put their heating lamp in their coop. So does anybody know when it's a good age (by age I mean week or month) to get rid of the chicks heating lamp?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I would worry more about temperatures than age of the birds. If temperatures remain in the 70's at night they need no supplemental heat. They may still need to be taught to go into the coop each night. No chicken has ever been farmyard valedictorian.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Unless you live where it is very cold, you could lose it now.
    I have chicks of various ages that have been in the coop without heat since they were 3 - 6 weeks of age. It has ranged from a low in the 60s at night to 100F. I actually delayed putting them out there because it was too hot. It now ranges from low 70s to 90s.

4. JNLVD

JNLVD New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Ok. Where I live it gets into the 60's all night so I should just keep the light then to help warm them up at night?

5. JNLVD

JNLVD New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Ok thxs a lot guys that really helped me and my barred rock chickens u guys r amazing! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can add it if you want but IMHO, they don't need it at all. 6 chicks will huddle at night and 5 week chicks can handle those temps.

1 person likes this.
  7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If you have temperatures in the upper 50s or warmer, they don't need a heat lamp (or a light). They should be almost fully feathered by now, and if it's a bit cool they will sleep next to each other for added warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by