chicken help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by miss heny, Aug 18, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

lillytin my pet chicken will not go to the flock any more, but stay in the carport waiting for me to pick her up. and i am not sure what to do with her.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have any theories on why this might be?

Is she scared of something? Or sick?

3. miss heny

Quote:nope.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

more information needed... tell us all you can think of... tell us about her and her place in the flock... anything new been happening... what might be different... food? birds? weather? We need more info. if you want us to help you out! [​IMG]

5. miss heny

okay, she is a free ranger (not the breed) domanik she is very munch like a silkies, but is the fave mating hen for the little roos. she always try to run to me when a roo is trying to get her. and the other hens hate her.

6. mmaddie's mom

You say the other hens hate her... are they picking on her and beating her up? If so, then that is why she doesn't want to go in with them. Is it just one other hen or really all the hens? If this can't be worked out between them (pecking order) then you will have to keep her separate from the rest of the birds... or rehome her... or rehome the mean birds...

If you think of anything else to tell us, please do. [​IMG]

7. miss heny

mmaddie's mom :

You say the other hens hate her... are they picking on her and beating her up? If so, then that is why she doesn't want to go in with them. Is it just one other hen or really all the hens? If this can't be worked out between them (pecking order) then you will have to keep her separate from the rest of the birds... or rehome her... or rehome the mean birds...

If you think of anything else to tell us, please do. [​IMG]

well i had been holding her alot.​

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You said she is the roos favorite and she runs to you when she sees them. There is another big reason. Too many roos, or too few hens. I think the meanest hen(s) need to get time out for a few days in a dog cage or whatever. This would give you a chance to see if she gets along well with the other hens. If you put the mean hens back in later they are no longer the dominant ones and start at a lower pecking order. Corraling the offending roo, might make a difference too. Do you intend to use the roos for breeding or are they just hanging around. Maybe you can find a buddy for her, a gentle breed or smaller/younger and keep them together to give her confidence.

9. mmaddie's mom

Ahh... so you've been spoiling her! Of course she would rather be with you then with the "mean hens".

Just put her in with the flock unless she is truly getting beat up... she will be fine.

How old is she and how old is the rest of your flock? Is she new to the flock? Have you added new birds lately?

ETA... good advice from drumstickdiva ^

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. miss heny

mmaddie's mom :

Ahh... so you've been spoiling her! Of course she would rather be with you then with the "mean hens".

Just put her in with the flock unless she is truly getting beat up... she will be fine.

How old is she and how old is the rest of your flock? Is she new to the flock? Have you added new birds lately?

ETA... good advice from drumstickdiva ^

nope. and that is what ia m thinking of doing drum​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by