Chicken Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hockeyman595, Feb 21, 2011.

1. hockeyman595

hockeyman595 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    i am a newbie im moving on a farm soon [​IMG] and i dont know what breed to get [​IMG] and i love eggs what friendly good egg laying cold Hardy hen sould i get [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    hay if u want cheep and comen that would be isa browns but if u want rear it would be rhoade island red/white or plymouth rocks

3. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    and [​IMG]

4. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Didn't you just post this question with a different title? You have to give us a little time! [​IMG] Here's the thing, you'll get almost as many different answers to this question as their are BYC members. Personally, I'm in CT (worst flippin' winter ever this year) and I have Barred Rocks, Welsummers, Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, White Leghorns, Red sex links, and they've all been just fine this winter without heat. I'm adding Marans, Ameraucanas, and Sussex this year. Do your homework, read about the proper coop requirements, ie., size, ventilation, etc. before you get your birds. If your coop is set up properly, most birds will do fine through the winter. Here's a link with the info. you're looking for.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Good luck and [​IMG]

5. hockeyman595

hockeyman595 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    do u guys think in a barn is ok and of couse with there own stall ill have to make that and rode island red is it any good my freind said they r pretty good
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by