Chicken help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hens rule, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Hi I went out to my chickens a couple hours later than I usealy do to give them water and check on them. They seemed very thirsty since it's cold and dry out. One of them has a lower voice then usual and it sounds kind of craky. Do you think she has a cold or do you think her voice just sounds differant because of how dry it is outside. Also one of my chickens throw up on the grownd after drinking a lot of water. It was just clear throw up which makes me think she just drank to much water. Help would be appreciated. thanks for reading. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When birds have been without either feed or water for too long they will frequently eat/drink too much. This probably caused the hen to throw up and may be a factor with the other hen. Is the water freezing and causing them to be water deprived? If so a heated waterer or several times a day watering would eliminate the problem.

3. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thanks for the help.
    I do have a heated water bowl. It's broken but my chickens drink the water quick enough for it not to freeze. I think I'll give them water more often. My chickens do have food.
    Thanks again for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by