Chicken Hemorroid??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzee63, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jzee63

jzee63 New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I have a hen that has what looks like a hemorroid. She is very energetic, is eating and pooping. When she pushes to poop, it appears to get bigger. When she stops pushing it retracts. She doesn't seem in any distress so I'm reluctant to put her down. It appears a little bloody because she is pecking at flies. Any advice?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like she's prolapsed. Have you checked to see if she's trying to pass an egg? I had one last week. I penned her seperate so the other hens wouldn't bother her and gave her a warm soak. Once she passed the egg I put Preparation H on her a couple of times a day, pushed the prolapse back in and kept her quiet in the dark. After 3 days she quit pushing it out and she's been fine ever since.

3. jzee63

jzee63 New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I tried pushing it in the other day but wasn't sure how hard I was supposed to push or if I was even supposed to push it back in. I just checked her again and it looks bloodier than before. At this point can I still push it back in? She was laying prior to this happening, could she be eggbound? If she is won't the prolapse reoccur?

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    use the search function and it will show several threads on eggbound...it does indeed seem that this might be what is wrong... if so the prolapse will not resolve until she has laid the egg.

5. jzee63

jzee63 New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    I just soaked her and cleaned her off so I could get a better look. It appears that she has 2 seperate masses that are protruding. I checked her vent for an egg and didn't feel one. I attempted to push everything back in but the more I pushed in, the harder she pushed out. I managed to get everything in once but as soon as I moved my hand she pushed and everything came out again. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not. There is no real chicken doc in the area so if I can't get her fixed myself my only alternative will be to put her down. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The first couple of days mine pretty much pushed it back out as soon as I pushed it in. The Prep H helps with the swelling tho and I think helps get rid of the urge for her to push. If you don't have prep H, witch hazel will also help.

7. jzee63

jzee63 New Egg

Jun 2, 2008
    Is what I am describing normal? The whole mass seems really large when she pushes. How many times or days should I attempt to push everything back in? Aside from the prolapse she appears normal. Sorry for all the questions but I would like to give her my best effort to help her survive. How long can she survive if she keeps pushing everything out and how long before she starts to suffer?

8. Maria1371

Maria1371 New Egg

May 24, 2012
    What happen to your chicken back in 2008? We have one with the same problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by