Chicken hen raising guinea keets, (Hopefully.)

Gallinarium

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
America
Well, I'm getting an order of 20 assorted color keets shipped March 23. I have a one older hen who raised all of my current pullets, hens now. So I figure I can try to take advantage of her mothering instincts again. I put her in a little enclosure with some fake eggs in a nesting box to see if she was interested. She was clucking within ten minutes. As she'll only be setting for a week, and they'll look like little aliens to her, the chances are good she won't accept them. In that case, mother hen goes back in the coop and keets go in a brooder under a heat lamp.
I'm not asking for advice, just writing how it goes for curious people. But then again, you can never have too much advice.

I know you aren’t looking for advice, but am curious why?
Since the keets will already be stressed from shipping wouldn’t that alone be reason to just brood them in a brooder from the start?
I brooded my first batch of chicks in a brooder, and my second under my hen. The second was significantly easier. The hen showed them where the food and water was, kept them warm without the use of a heat lamp, and attacked anything that she deemed too close to her chickies, (except for me, thankfully.)
I don't think trying a hen would be more stress, and so I don't really have anything to lose by trying what I see as the better way.

Well, I'm getting an order of 20 assorted color keets shipped March 23. I have a one older hen who raised all of my current pullets, hens now. So I figure I can try to take advantage of her mothering instincts again. I put her in a little enclosure with some fake eggs in a nesting box to see if she was interested. She was clucking within ten minutes. As she'll only be setting for a week, and they'll look like little aliens to her, the chances are good she won't accept them. In that case, mother hen goes back in the coop and keets go in a brooder under a heat lamp.
I'm not asking for advice, just writing how it goes for curious people. But then again, you can never have too much advice.
I had a not so great experience with keets imprinting on other poultry and then attacking them later. Since then, we’ve had much more behavioral success keeping the keets apart from other poultry for brooding, then introducing them later as teens or young adults. However, other people seem to manage it. 🤷‍♀️ Best of luck! :fl Let us know how it goes!

I would say "happily setting", but I disturbed her. Sorry, Fluffball.
The top is temporary, and will be replaced with something better, and the sides will be covered with cardboard to prevent them from getting their heads stuck in there. The shaving will be replaced by newspaper strips, as I've had problems with young chicks eating shavings, and I'm guessing keets are no better. The feeder and waterer will obviously also be different.
This is all assuming she accepts them, otherwise they'll be in a kiddie pool.
1615827280075.png

The top is temporary, and will be replaced with something better, and the sides will be covered with cardboard to prevent them from getting their heads stuck in there. The shaving will be replaced by newspaper strips, as I've had problems with young chicks eating shavings, and I'm guessing keets are no better. The feeder and waterer will obviously also be different.
View attachment 2570842
Yes, keets are probably worse than chicks about eating shavings, or whatever else they can find lying around!

View attachment 2570842
Keets are VERY tiny! They will walk right thru the bars on that cage. Also, chips are not a good idea. I use old towels as bedding for newborns. It will keep them from sliding and causing leg damage.
I am concerned that 20 keets may be a little too much for a hen to try to keep warm. Ive found that it is a lot easier to raise the keets myself in a brooder than to let a hen do it.

Keets are VERY tiny! They will walk right thru the bars on that cage. Also, chips are not a good idea. I use old towels as bedding for newborns. It will keep them from sliding and causing leg damage.
I am concerned that 20 keets may be a little too much for a hen to try to keep warm. Ive found that it is a lot easier to raise the keets myself in a brooder than to let a hen do it.
Thanks for the advice! As said before, I'm going to put cardboard over the bars. That's just what I used to keep the adult inside. I didn't intend to continue using the shavings, as I've had problems with chicks thinking it's food. Towels is a good idea.
My hen's last batch was fifteen chicks of the same species as her, and she had no troubles at all covering them, so I wouldn't think it would be an issue?
Out of curiosity, just how tiny are keets?

Keets are about half the size of most chicks. They will walk thru chicken wire like it wasn't even there. I 'm sure you know this but shipped keets need to drink warm water to get hydrated as soon as they arrive. Best to have electrolytes in the water. So make sure they can drink and eat before putting them under the hen. Most hens that hatch chicks will not leave the nest for a day or two after her babies hatch. That may be too late for the keets.
Hopefully you will have them in a warm area so they don't have to stay under her all the time. Sprinkle a little feed on the floor and they should start to eat as soon as they see it. And watch for pasty butt. it's very common in shipped keets.
I do wish you the best of luck with the new little ones. ;)

Back
Top Bottom